I’ve been on a bit of a rose kick as of late-and decided to try out a few different ones.
A majority of them are from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, as their rose note is widely popular, but I opted for Rose City from Haus of Gloi as well along with some gourmand roses from Solstice Scents. If you’ve never ordered from them, Solstice Scents definitely wins in the shipping category, with Haus of Gloi as a close second.
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab
- Rose Red 2016: The perfected winter rose, dew covered and freshly cut from BPAL’s Yule Release. There is nothing more like a fresh bouquet of roses that was just delivered to your desk (or your body hehe). When I wear this, I feel like I’ve been gifted flowers and the scent is just amazingly green and fresh. Even my mom said I smelled like the roses out in our front yard. It’s reminiscent of smelling the roses first thing in the morning-slightly wet and very fresh. Definitely a keeper. I also tried The First Rose – pale pink rosebud, wet with the dew of the dawn of creation. These two are very very similar, the rose red is slightly more green and in your face, with the first rose being it’s slightly quieter counterpart. Both excellent true rose scents.
- Allegory of Chastity: Blushing rose hips, pink rose petals, and vanilla cream with white jasmine and a drop of bergamot. Oh man, from the bottle it was fairly powdery which was really worrisome but once on the skin, the powder really rounds out and the rose total kicks in. It’s definitely a pinker rose scent but there is a hint of green that comes out later on. I don’t get much of the vanilla or jasmine but perhaps that is where I get the powder from. This is extremely lovely and throw is longer than Rose Red. This can last me all day easily.
- Peacock Queen 2016: In dramatic contrast to the soft innocence of Snow White and the dew-kissed freshness of her sister, Rose Red, this is a blood red, voluptuous rose, velvet-petaled, at the height of bloom. Haughty and imperious, vain, yet incomparably lovely to the eye, but thick with thorns of jealousy, pride and hatred. I’m not sure how BPAL does it, but it does feel haughty-it has a bite at the end of the rose scent. Although I could appreciate the scent, this was not for me. The rose is definitely there at the beginning but evolves into this sharper, pointed scent.
- The Unicorn, Rushing Against the Tree, Fixed its Horn so Fast in the Trunk that it Could Not Draw it Out: Ethereal white orris, pale early lilacs, mallow flower, Queen of the Night, white moss, and dusk-lit mist. I’m not going to lie-I got this partially because of the name! In the bottle, I can smell the moss which makes it a bit dry and woody. But on dry down, wow, it’s really quite pretty! I would say it’s a light white floral with a slight sweetness (from the mallow flower?). It’s very wearable and dries into a quieter aquatic floral.
Haus of Gloi
- Rose City: Red roses and the earthy wet scent of aged patchouli. THE PATCHOULI, is so so strong in this. I definitely can appreciate the depth of this, but patchouli just does not work on my skin. It’s definitely the most prominent note for me. I think if I could mellow this out with maybe a strong vanilla note this could be a keeper.
- Rose Mallow Cream: Moroccan Rose absolute, Bulgarian Rose absolute, Marshmallow Fluff, Strawberry Nectar, White Chocolate, Vanilla, White Musk. I really didn’t get that much rose from this, but definitely got the strawberry mallow! This is a very sweet scent that to me is more on the gourmand side than floral.
- Cardamom Rose Sugar: Brown Sugar, Cardamom EO, Moroccan Rose and Bulgarian Rose. SPICY! So so spicy, if you have any doubts about this, I would recommend going to a store and smelling cardamom first before making a purchase. It’s very warm, I think it would be perfect for colder weather (as it warms up the skin too). The sugar and cardamom are most prominent for me, with the rose coming out slightly on the dry down.
My winners are Rose Red/The First Rose and Allegory of Chastity! Between the two, I definitely feel like my rose niche has been fulfilled.